5 Tips for Successful Interviews
The college interview offers an opportunity to stand out beyond the application with the admissions officer. For the student, a college interview provides a chance to share their personality and personal story as to why the college is a good fit for them. The student should highlight strengths and interests and gather additional information about the college. For the admissions officer, it is a way to get to know the student and add to the personal and academic information from the application.
Here are some tips for your child to do their best:
1. Review the literature about the college before the interview. It looks impressive to appear knowledgeable about the school and keenly interested to learn more.
2. Be prepared for common questions. Admissions officers might throw in a random question to see how you’ll react in the interview. Below are some questions you could prepare for:
- What was the worst decision you’ve ever made?
- How would your friends characterize you?
- What is your biggest regret about high school, and if you could change it, what impact would it have on you and in your future as a college student?
- If you were a world leader, what would you do to heal the violence and turbulence in the world?
- How do you see yourself 20 years from now?
- Who is the most influential person in your life and why?
- What are you reading right now?
3. Prepare some of your own questions to ask. Some students say that the hardest question you’ll get from the interviewer is, in fact, “Do YOU have any questions?” Write down your questions on a notepad that you’ll take with you to the interview.
4. Along with your notepad, bring along a copy of your school transcript, and a brief résumé. The transcript and your résumé will come in handy if you are given an information sheet to fill out prior to your meeting.
5. Be yourself! The key to getting admitted, and also being happy at college, is matchmaking. Bring your best, most authentic self so that the admissions officer interviewing you can decide if this is the right fit. Don’t forget to thank the interviewer when you’re done.
U.S. College Planning Center
Welcome to our U.S. College Planning Center. This is where you can find almost everything you need for your college success in the United States.
Start Your Journey
Test Information: Getting your child into the college of their choice starts with knowing your options, understanding the process and customizing a test preparation plan tailored to suit their strengths and weaknesses. Further Test Information: SAT Test Information and ACT Test Information.
Admissions Factors: Begin laying the foundation and consider the admissions factors as early on as possible to ensure your child does not get too stressed out and overworked closer to the SAT. Further Admissions Factors: Choosing a School and Further Planning.
Application Tips: A strong college application, which showcases your child’s strongest grades, extracurricular activities and personal essay is very important! Every college has different criteria for determining which students to admit. The best tip during this process is to stay organized and pay close attention to the many details. Further Application Tips: Interviews and Social Media.
Prep with Clever Academy & Kaplan
SAT Test Prep Courses: Classroom, Online & On-Demand Options
ACT Test Prep Courses: Classroom, Online & On-Demand Options
Test Scores for Key Colleges: To find out more about what score your child should be aiming for, download our list of the average test scores accepted by many top colleges.